Legislative Council Wednesday 24 June, 2020
Ms FORREST question to LEADER of the GOVERNMENT in the LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL, Mrs HISCUTT
With regard to access visits and availability of family contact centres on the North West Coast:
1. Is the Minister aware that monitored and no contact access visits are being facilitated in public places on weekends allegedly due to lack of safe places in Burnie?
2. Where are the designated family contact centres in Burnie;
a. What hours are these open to facilitate access; and
b. Which centres, if any, are currently open on weekends?
3. If no centres are open currently, will a centre be made available during weekends in Burnie; and
a. When is this to occur?
4. If a weekend access centre is not to reopen, how are families in Burnie and surrounds relying on access to safe place to facilitate these visits, able to meet these requirements safely?
5. If families have to travel to Devonport to access a safe place, what support is provided for low income families who find this financially challenging?
6. How is the safety of women and children assured if monitored or no contact access visits are required on weekends by families in Burnie and surrounding areas?
• I am advised that the “Children’s Contact Services” to which the Member is referring are funded by the Commonwealth Government, and in Burnie and Devonport are administered through Relationships Australia (TAS), independent from State Government oversight.
• I would encourage the Member to contact Relationship Australia (Tas) or the Federal Department of Social Services to discuss these matters directly.Go Back