Legislative Council Wednesday 18 March, 2020
Ms FORREST question to LEADER of the GOVERNMENT in the LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL, Mrs HISCUTT
I ask the Leader -
(1) To table a copy of the final report into the review of the Electoral Act reporting on the stated terms of reference and review -
(a) Modernising the current Tasmanian Electoral Act 2004 with specific examination of sections, including 191(1)(b), 196(1) and 198(1)(b).
(b) Whether state-based disclosure rules should be introduced. If so, what they should include?
(c) The level of regulation of third parties, including unions, during election campaigns.
(2) To provide a time line for the release of draft legislation and introduction to parliament of reform resulting from the above review.
Mr President, I thank the member for Murchison for her question.
• A commitment was made by the former premier that the Tasmanian Government would review the Electoral Act.
• An Interim Report on the Electoral Act Review was released in December 2018. The interim report identified a number of consultation issues for further consideration and feedback from stakeholders.
• The Government introduced Electoral Act amendments last year and these are now law.
• The Government received the final report prior to the end of 2019 and is now considering it.
• The next state election is not until 2022 and it is critical this be considered thoroughly.