Legislative Council Wednesday 29 May, 2019
Ms FORREST question to the LEADER of the GOVERNMENT in the LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL, Mrs HISCUTT
Regarding scholarships for early childhood educators working in early childhood services;
1. How many scholarship positions for Bachelor of Education scholarships were made available to early childhood services;
2. How many were awarded;
3. If not fully awarded, is the funding to remain available until all scholarships are taken up; and
a. If not, where will the allocated funds be directed?
1. The Department of Education’s Education and Care Unit (ECU) offered ten scholarships to assist educators working in education and care services, with an approved Diploma qualification and relevant workplace experience to gain an early childhood teaching qualification – Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Teaching).
2. The ECU received nine applications. A total of six applicants were suitable as they fully met the criteria of the Scholarship Program. Two of the six successful applicants, withdrew prior to the start of the course due to personal reasons.
3. The funding for the Scholarship Program was from the ECU Grants Program, and the balance of the allocated funding was channeled back into the ECU Grants Program.