Legislative Council Wednesday 18 September 2019
Ms FORREST question to LEADER of the GOVERNMENT in the LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL, Mrs HISCUTT
With regard to TasPorts' Bass Island Line, I ask the Leader to provide a copy of -
(1) The expression of interest seeking a commercial operator for this service.
(2) The TasPorts report into the suitability of the John Duigan prior to her purchase.
(3) Details of the work required for the refurbishment and additional work needed to make the ship more fit for purpose, including details of the cost of this work.
Mr President, I thank the member for Murchison for her question.
(1) The expression of interest process that sought commercial operators' interest in Bass Island Line was a commercial-in-confidence process under the governance of a probity advisor. It is not appropriate to share commercially sensitive information relating to a service that operates in a competitive market.
(2) The procurement process that resulted in the purchase of the John Duigan was a commercial process and is inappropriate for public release.
(3) Operational improvements to the John Duigan and the associated costs borne by TasPorts are not appropriate for public release given Bass Island Line operates in a competitive market with other privately owned operators.
Following the recent market sounding exercise that confirmed TasPorts is best placed to deliver this critical service in the longer term, TasPorts is committed to examining the commercial viability of developing a pathway to the next iteration of vessel.Go Back