I was born in Burnie in 1962. The second of four children of Margaret and Keith Emmerton. I was raised on a dairy, beef and potato growing farm at Riana and have lived on the North West Coast all my life. I attended Riana Area School, Ulverstone High School and Hellyer College.
Further details regarding my education history are below.
I have four wonderful children, Jane (born 1986), Alan (born 1987), Edward (born 1990) and Alyce (born 1993) and son-in-law Darren Bowles and daughter-in -law Anna-Clare Forrest.
I worked as a nurse and midwife since commencing my General Nurse training in 1979 in Burnie until I was elected to the Legislative Council in the Parliament of Tasmania in 2005. I was re-elected unopposed in 2011 for a further six year term.
I live in Wynyard and spend a lot of time traveling within my electorate including Circular Head, the West Coast, Wynyard and King Island
- 1968 – 1973 - Riana Area School – Primary School
- 1974 - 1977 - Ulverstone High School – High School Certificate
- 1978 - Hellyer College – Higher School Certificate
- 14 February 1979 - 16 April 1982 - North Western General Hospital, Burnie - General Nurse Training
- 24 October 1982 - 14 January 1983 - North Western General Hospital, Burnie - Intensive Care Course.
- 14 February 1983- 25 February 1984 - North Western General Hospital, Burnie - Midwifery
- November 1989 Family Planning Tasmania - Nurse Practitioner Theoretical Course in Family Planning Certificate - Result - Distinction
- March 1994 - December 1994 - University of New England, University Partnerships - Armidale, New South Wales - Effective Antenatal Education - Certificate (result - High Distinction).
- March 1998 Department of Health, Sexual Health Program. Tasmania - Approved Health Care Workers Course.
- October 1999 National Association of Childbirth Educators Childbirth Educators - 4 Day Training Workshop.
- October 2001 Nursing Board of Tasmania Approved Assessor, BSZ401A Plan Assessment, BSZ402A Conduct Assessment, BSZ403A Review Assessment, (Partial completion of BSZ40198 Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training) DHHS
- 2002 – 2010 - Masters Of Midwifery, Flinders University, Adelaide.
- 2012 - Present - Graduate Certificate of Business, UTAS Cradle Coast Campus
- GAICD at Australian Institute of Company Directors, Graduate at Tasmanian Leaders Program
On-going Professional Development
- 2011 - Participant of the Tasmanian Leaders Inc Program
- 7 May 2005 – Current - Independent Member of the Legislative Council, Parliament of Tasmania.
- October 1988 – May 2005 – Registered Nurse/Midwife – North West private Hospital, Burnie. I was employed as a Level 2 midwife and worked predominantly within a caseload model of care as a midwife. I was the antenatal class co-ordinator and established the “Know Your Midwife/KYM” scheme.
- August 2004 – May 2005 – Family Planning Tasmania, Clinical Nurse Educator.
- February 1993 – May 2005 – Centacare Family Services, Family Life Educator providing sexuality education sessions to school students K-12.
- 1988 – National Heart Foundation, Burnie Clinic Supervisor.
- 1986 – 1989 – Childbirth Education Association Burnie, Midwife/Childbirth Educator.
- 1984 – 1988 – North Western General Hospital, Burnie, Registered Nurse/Midwife.
- 1982 – 1984 - North Western General Hospital, Burnie, Registered Nurse.
Professional - Midwifery Related
- Member of inaugural North West Regional Working Group for Alternative Birthing
- (October 1994).
- Appointed to Council of Obstetric and Paediatric Mortality and Morbidity, August
- 2001- 2005.
- ACMI Representative on Midwifery Advisory Committee 2004 – 2005.
- ACMI Representative on Statewide Women’s & Childrens Services Committee 2004 – 2005.
- Nominee for the 1998 Tasmanian Awards for Excellence in Professional Nursing Practice.
- Australian College of Midwives Inc. (ACMI) Tasmanian Branch member since 1989. Executive Member in roles of Publicity and Promotions Officer 1996 - 2000 and North West Area Representative 1997 - 2000
- ACMI Tasmania Branch President August 2000 – September 2005.
- ACMI Johnson’s Baby “Midwife of the Year” 2002.
- Awarded with Fellowship of the Australian College of Midwives Incorporated September 2001.
- National Association of Childbirth Educators Inc. (NACE Inc.) Member and Tasmanian Branch Executive Member - President (2002 - 2004), Secretary (1999 - 2002), State Representative/Delegate (2000 - 2003).
- National Association of Childbirth Educators Inc. (NACE Inc.) Tasmania branch 2004 national conference convenor.
- National Association of Childbirth Educators Inc. (NACE Inc.) Member of National Further Education Committee. (2000 - 2004)
- Certified Advanced NACE Childbirth Educator 1999 - 2001.
- Certified NACE Trainer of Childbirth Educators February 2001-2005.
- Organise and coordinate and present at regular monthly to bimonthly Dinner
- Meetings/Seminars in the North West Region for ACMI.
Papers Presented & Workshops Facilitated
- Telling Stories” 9th NACE National Conference 2004, at the Hotel Grand Chancellor, Launceston, Tasmania
- “Caseload Midwifery: Review Of Current Model And Proposal For Improvement” ARCHI Toolkit Seminar, Improving the Clinical Management of Maternity Services at the Sheraton Southbank, Melbourne VIC.
- “Caseload Midwifery Within a Team Midwifery Model: Proposal” ACMT Dinner meeting, November 12th 2003.
- “Birth - an endurance event” at NACE Inc. National Conference 2002, Coogee, Sydney.
- “Innovative Birth Options in Burnie” at ACMI National Biennial Conference
- “Reflections”, Brisbane, September 2001.
- "Antenatal Awareness of Postnatal Depression for Partners and Families” at Postnatal Disorders NW Tasmania Network forum “Postnatal Depression - Father’s and Family’s Experiences” November 30 2001.
- " Pain Management in Labour. Presenting Pain Management Options Antenatally" on 29th May 2000.
- “Innovative Presentation of Parenting Issues for New & Expectant Parents” on July 1st 2000.
- A Midwife's Perspective" at A Postnatal Depression Community Forum in July 1999.
- Co-facilitated 4 day Childbirth Educators Training Course with Bronny Handfield Grad Dip H & HR'Is, B Ed, M Ed, NACE Professional Development Officer and Past President NACE. October 1999.
- Co-facilitated 2 day childbirth educators training workshops twice yearly with Jill Humann - NACE Inc. Certified trainer of childbirth educators, past president of NACE Inc. Tasmania branch.
- Co-facilitated skill sharing workshops titled " Innovative Presentation of Parenting Issues for New & Expectant Parents" in July 2000 and "Presenting Unexpected Outcomes Antenatally. How & Why" in November 1999, with Jill Humann RN, RM, BA.