Tasmanians living in a vibrant State, recognised and experienced as the best place to live and engaged and prospering in a diverse and resilient economy and community, that enhances the quality of life for us all.
Tasmania will be recognised as worldwide experts in creativity. Finding creative solutions and being resilient and resourceful is part of our spirit and rich heritage of being an island state. These are our natural and prominent strengths. Strengths that bring benefits to our education, health and the social systems, that are so important to our future success.
In a world focussed on sustainability, we have an opportunity to highlight that we are world leaders in using creativity to solve the challenges and problems we face but also that perplex others around the world. We will focus on what is best for us and not take a deferential approach to other States.
We say ‘yes we can’ to more opportunities rather than succumb to the barriers, becoming a state of positivity where every challenge creates a sustainable solution.
Elements – strategic goals
- To build a strong and consistent brand that can become renowned around the world - think Germany and quality, think Swiss and precision, think Tasmania and creativity.
- An economy that creates prosperity for all through a diverse mix of industries and activities, that is resilient through cycles and seasons and generates independence and control of our future. A future that rewards new sustainable enterprises and investment that recognises employment diversity and the social benefits of shared wealth - low unemployment, high participation, people of all ages staying in Tasmania or coming to Tasmania to access the opportunities Tasmania provides.
- Establish Tasmania as the world leading location recognised for the best educational standards and outcomes and the best teachers – commenced in utero, strong focus on 0-5 years, all students achieving valued qualification and equitable access to tertiary education.
- Best health outcomes for all Tasmanians commencing pre-conception, through early childhood, adolescence, adulthood, to the end-of-life – focus on health promotion, personal responsibility and early intervention.
- Creative approaches that enrich the value proposition of doing business in or with Tasmania from SME’s to big businesses - worldwide brands would invest here to 'link' to this reputation in the same way brands use Euro to raise the perception of brand quality.
- Creative experiences in food and tourism industries where every operator has a clear and distinct point of difference - every offering has a reason to become famous and get people talking.
- Creating and promoting worlds best sustainable practices in industries that can have otherwise have negative connotations - think environmental practices in mining (Henty Gold Mine water treatment and acid rock drainage at Savage River Mine,) water management and forestry practice where evidence based information is used to promote our sustainable practices in such a way these become attractions rather than hindrance to brand reputation.
Missions – major focus
- Best educational experiences, standards and outcomes. Highlight creativity through well resourced lifelong provision of education promoting difference and entrepreneurial values, high levels of literacy and numeracy, supported by education that encompasses health and financial literacy with a focus on understanding and promoting individual strengths within the best physical and intellectual environments for learning. Celebrating and valuing the knowledge and wisdom developed across the entire community, to inspire future generations to learn with a purpose.
How will we achieve this –
- Through a greater focus on creative ways of overcoming educational disadvantage and understanding how teachers and schools contribute to improving equity in education through quality teaching.
- Provision of the best resources and most highly skilled and trained teachers that are given the opportunity to make a difference and lead with purpose.
- Clever use of technology, not confining learners to traditional forms of education, creating a future encompassing high speed connections with leading educational facilities, research-based educational strategies and programs from around the world.
- Educate and employ and value the best, most highly skilled and dedicated teachers – IT’S ALL ABOUT GOOD TEACHERS in an effective learning environment!
- Best health outcomes. Facilitate and promote the creativity needed to provide sustainable solutions and a proactive health system, with a fully integrated accessible health care, greater focus on health promotion and illness prevention and recognition of the contribution of health services to the GSP. Highest Gross National Happiness Index in the world.
How will we achieve this –
- Create ‘Centres of Excellence’ around the State that avoid duplication and streamline access to care.
- Provide dedicated elective surgery ‘Centres of Excellence’ that will not be interrupted by emergency care.
- A single funding model that encompasses all areas of health service delivery.
- Smoking and obesity rates are lowest in the world through creative approaches to these public health challenges.
- Equitable access to services is provided through efficient transport, accommodation and retrieval services.
- Growing the best food, having the cleanest air and water that all Tasmanians have access to and appreciate the importance of consuming.
- Working through our creative quality education services to achieve the greatest population who are health literate and happy.
- Vibrant, diverse and resilient economy. A strong, robust, diverse and creative economy with less reliance on Commonwealth funds that will endure regardless of local and global economic climate.
How will we achieve this –
- Supporting and encouraging the engagement and participation of all Tasmanians, as we value their varied life experience, to invest creatively and sustainably in the State with an ongoing focus on the social, environmental and economic benefits of their investment.
- Encourage seemingly crazy ideas and assist the thinker to make that idea ‘investment ready’ so we can attract national and international investment realising cutting edge and creative ideas that can be taken to the marketplace.
- Leveraging off our natural strengths of quality food and wines and sustainable industries including agriculture, aquaculture, forestry, mining and tourism.
- Utilise creative approaches to integrate and streamline Government structures and processes that drive efficiencies to support investment.
- Fully integrated Department of Infrastructure and Development (DID) incorporating all infrastructure (capital expenditure and maintenance on all publicly owned assets), economic development, energy, resources, planning and primary industry infrastructure with close links to related Government Businesses.
- Greater focus on growing State revenues.
- Deliver services focussed on the primary roles and functions of State Government creating systems that are recognised globally for their effectiveness and efficiency.
- World leading application of technology. Tasmania is already rich with world leading technology in areas from acid rock drainage management, to world first oyster graders, boat building and so much more. Tasmania will be at the forefront of creativity in the development, use and application of technology across all areas of public and private activity.
How will we achieve this –
- Investing in research and development to design and implement future uses of technology and innovative enterprises that maximise the world leading work of Tasmanians including the work done at the ACECRC, CSIRO, CODES and the many leading edge private enterprises.
- Supporting the many creative and world leading Tasmanian entrepreneurs that are already producing, manufacturing and designing world firsts including oyster graders, renewable energy technologies, etc.
This common vision will allow the wider community, from small to international business and to anyone that has an idea, to contribute to our State brand. As each show examples of creativity, the state brand will grow to become the successful sum of individual parts.
Creativity sustained is a vision that every individual and organisation can buy into regardless of the sector or industry area they are part of. Together each example will combine to cement Tasmania’s reputation as a State where creativity is nurtured and sustainable solutions are the basis of our success.